Thursday, July 30, 2009

Binding or freeing.....

"Love is not a protective cage but the gift of wings that allows another to fly free."-Source Unknown
How true is this statement?! Now before I start please note I am thinking practical every day life here and not looking at a romantic love story! How freeing is love? When you love you want to spend the rest of your life with that person, you want to get married, have a life, perhaps some children, blah blah the whole white-picket-fenced-house picture; but in living all your dreams I just see the person being more tied down to each other. I don’t say it’s a bad thing but its human nature to start being so dependent on the next person ....for everything or almost all of it. Just this morning I was trying to explain why I refuse to use an alarm clock because I know that my husband uses his and will be there to wake me up in time!! I’m not a primitive, I used an alarm clock...once upon a time but ever since I got married I don’t think I used one…or felt the NEED to use it. And what’s funny is that you don’t have to be married to experience this. It could be couples who live in together or maybe just dating....you depend on the other person for maybe bringing you your coffee, or helping with the groceries, or driving around so you can pop in at the atm machine, or take your car for a wash because you don’t have the time, or cook for you, help with the laundry, help you decide while shopping what looks good on you, what color should your nails be and the list can go on forever. I think its inevitable because you don’t intentionally want to be dependent but because you know the person is always there for you, you can ask and slowly it just becomes a habit and in other cases the persons approval or opinion about you is very important. So do statements like 'love is freeing' hold any truth in the real life?

No comments: