Sunday, June 22, 2008

Snail Mail…Lost in Web space?

Best ads –‘If you really want to touch someone, send them a letter’ An advert by Australia Post inspired this ‘post’ [pun intended] on snail mail….Does anyone still call it snail mail or does it have some appalling tag to it to make it sound like a disease?
Define snail mail – Blast from the past? A mode of communication used by….the dinosaurs?

The last time I received a snail mail [that’s what I called it and am sticking to it!!] was when I was in the 7th grade from a friend who had moved back home.
The joy of knowing that an envelope with rather big, childish handwriting in dads hand was addressed to me was exhilarating! And month after month I would wait for yet another one to come with replies to the million questions I wrote back to her!

Electronic mails are convenient no doubt, but how can it ever be the same? I can get flowers in an E-card but you can’t compare it to freshly sprayed perfume that I could get on a paper card. In time of grief or happiness, E-mails are fast and convenient but only a paper card would hold stains of tears to show you the deepness of true feelings. And moreover I don’t have to worry about my paper card expiring or getting deleted if my inbox went over storage limit!

I think I would vote for snail mail to an Email – they just cannot be the same! Is it just me or are there many of you who nodded in agreement when you read this?

No comments: